Sunday 17 January 2016

Colour for a Grey January



Here we are half way through January already and not a project finished! However I have finished the first stage of my first stitching for the first month. I don't know about you but I've always thought of the months of the year in colour form and this year January is definitely grey. However I wanted something more colourful to start the year and decided on an Autumn theme (and why not!). And that meant I could use the pieces of old (mainly Welsh) wool blankets I've been collecting. 


Its quite a simple design - simple shapes and easy basic embroidery stitches. I haven't decided on the finished product yet.... could be cushion, lap blanket, wall hanging, but I won't be putting it behind glass as I love the raised texture of the appliqued leaves.


The next step is backing and I think there will be simple quilting. I'm adding a layer of cotton batting between the blanket and grey flannel backing.


I used vintage threads to embroider too. Some are labelled for crochet, some knitting silk, and some for embroidery. I like that all the materials I've used, except the batting, are reused/recycled.


I've already got two more projects planned - both using embroidery in some way. A friend has asked for a gift for her friend featuring a squirrel and there is a new baby on the horizon to stitch for. I'd like 2016 to be my year of embroidery but we'll see how it goes.

Love to know what your New Year projects are.... and perhaps see a photo or two when completed!

6 comments:

  1. How beautiful Ann, both color and texture. What a very good idea to use those blankets for this project. Why not make an tablet (Ipad )cover for the next market. I could explain you how to make it. Or a cushion for the market, i am sure people will love this.
    Good luck with tour embroidery projects. I am crocheting a lready a second cardigan with zauberball crazy. Yarn. Do you know it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely, the leaves are so pretty
    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely as always Ann
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful Ann! A modern design with traditional fabrics - gorgeous! It is definitely the weather for stitching with blankets. I think it would be great made up into a cushion so that it is on show. Looking forward to seeing your other embroidery projects this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love this, want to snuggle down in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I'm making a wall hanging at the moment from my granny's embroidery pieces.

    I can't wait seeing your projects this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails